- By providing women and girls financial literacy education so they can make responsible, informed decisions for themselves and their families.
- By giving women without access to credit safe, supportive places to build and grow their savings, so they will be able to build their future and meet critical expenses.
- By giving women access to small lines of credit to create and sustain of a business so they can make their own opportunities to provide financially for their families, and their future.
- By creating channels of access to affordable healthcare and healthy, nutritious food to permit women to exercise their agency and determine the best way to sustain healthy living habits.
- By providing access to Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, & Math (STEAM) education to girls, during important developmental years, so that more young women will be encouraged to pursue careers in well-paying, in-demand fields traditionally occupied by males. As these young girls grow into women, they will pass down the knowledge they have gained and the importance of learning to future generations.
- By continually identifying, supporting, and funding issues that lead to systemic change that impact the well-being of women, girls, and families.
Investing in women and girls is one of the best, proven methods of fighting poverty and stopping the cycle of poverty from spreading from one generation to the next. By targeting major issues that impact women and girls, and providing funding for innovative projects that will eliminate the root causes of poverty and inequality, Women in Philanthropy (WIP) will empower and transform the lives of women and girls in Lackawanna County. WIP seeks to help women and girls reach their full potential. The health of our nation’s economy depends on the success of American women. Each year, the number of families supported primarily or solely by the female adult member of the household is increasing. Empowering Women and Girls and Transforming Families Women in Philanthropy will operate under the belief that it is better to give women and girls the tools they need to improve their lives and ultimately lift themselves and their families out of poverty, rather than providing an item or two that will help them get from one day to the next. We believe that investing in proven, successful programs that target long-term, meaningful change is the most effective way to empower women and girls and transform lives. Women Helping Women Members of Women in Philanthropy will support and fund the future of women and girls in Lackawanna County. WIP will be comprised of individuals who want to be actively involved in making decisions that impact the well-being of women in girls in our community in various ways: