>> Give to the Community

>> Subscribe to our Newsletter

Our History

Scranton Area Community Foundation has been serving the Northeastern Pennsylvania region for over 65 years as a steward, a grantmaker, a charitable resource, and a catalyst for change and growth.

Scranton Area Community Foundation was established as a community trust in 1954 by the Scranton Family, whose initial gift was the seed which has grown into a permanent vehicle for donors to accomplish their philanthropic goals while helping to support positive change within our community.

The original architects of what was then known as The Scranton Foundation, thoughtfully and intentionally incorporated broad provisions into the trust to ensure that both the short- and long-term needs of the community would be addressed for years to come. The Scranton Foundation incorporated “Area” into its name in 1970, and in 1988 received official IRS designation as a public community foundation. In 1998, the Foundation converted from a trust to a corporation, the Scranton Area Community Foundation, Inc.

As a community foundation, we accept and administer donors’ gifts and bequests and are proud to provide the maximum tax advantage to donors. Through our many donors, we proudly contribute to the vitality of the Scranton Area, of Lackawanna County, and Northeastern Pennsylvania. We offer value and stability to our donors and we act as a catalyst for change, convening diverse groups to take action on community issues.

Today the Scranton Area Community Foundation holds and manages a variety of funds from individuals, organizations, and corporations. Through these gifts, the Foundation responds to community needs and opportunities with grants in such diverse fields as health, education, arts, environment, human services, and civic affairs.

Foundation Facts

Stay up to date with us. Get our emails.